Have you ever thought about whitening your teeth? You’re not alone. Teeth whitening is the No. 1 requested cosmetic service today and its popularity continues to soar, according to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry. Although teeth are not really supposed to be bright white, no one wants their teeth to look like a row of corn.
Instinctively, we receive a first impression within seconds upon meeting someone. A smile is the most recognizable facial expression and can be distinguished from several feet away. This means someone may unconsciously develop a first impression before you even shake hands with them! When you have a beautiful smile during an initial meeting, you’re seen as attractive and friendly. Both of which are desired perceptions for almost anyone.
Because having whiter teeth has now become the number one aesthetic concern of most patients, there are a number of ways to whiten teeth. The most popular method is using a home tooth whitening system that will whiten teeth dramatically. Since tooth whitening only works on natural tooth enamel, it is important to evaluate replacement of any old fillings, crowns, etc. Replacement of any restorations can be done before or after whitening so they will match the newly bleached teeth.
Reasons for tooth whitening:
- Job Interviews. A white smile will increase your confidence and will help and create an excellent first impression when going for that job interview.
- Much like 40 is the new 30, Teeth Whitening is the new skincare. A brighter smile is often associated with youth. There is no point having fresh looking skin only to smile with those yellowish teeth. Make sure to include both your skin and teeth when striving for a younger appearance
- For special occasions. A special event such as a wedding, job interview or class reunion. People want to look their very best for that all-important occasion.
- Aging Teeth. The natural aging process can cause our teeth to yellow and start to make the teeth look old and unhealthy, therefore making us feel old and unhealthy.
- The boost to your confidence and self-esteem that comes from a great smile and white teeth. Yellow teeth can be embarrassing. With a new and improved smile, patients are more likely to have confidence in their appearance.
- We have noticed that those patients who’ve had their teeth whitened tend to increase their oral health care routine. Pleased with their smile and experiencing all the advantages of whiter teeth often leads people to take better care when brushing, flossing, and seeing their dentist for professional cleanings. Since good oral health can improve your overall health and prevent many diseases, this is by far the most important reason to consider teeth whitening.
What does tooth whitening involve?
This type of tooth whitening usually requires two 10 minute visits. At the first appointment, impressions (molds) will be made of your teeth to fabricate custom, clear plastic, trays.
At your second appointment, you will try on the trays for proper fit, and adjustments will be made if necessary. The trays are worn with Opalescence whitening solution for 2 hours once a day or 1 hour twice a day for faster results.
You will receive care instructions for your teeth and trays, and be encouraged to visit your dentist regularly to help maintain a beautiful, healthy, white smile.